Membership Clerk and Financial Benefits Counsellor

The membership clerk works very closely with the community members, Aboriginal Affairs Northern Development Canada (AANDC) and the Minister of Health (Santé) and Social Services (MSSS). The supervisor is the the Director General of the Cree First Nation of Waswanipi.

Stephanie Gull
Membership Clerk & Financial Benefits Councillor

Tel: (819) 753-2587 Ext. 225
Fax: (819) 753-2555.
email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Government Programs

Aboriginal Affairs and Northern Development Canada (AANDC)

Birth and Band Registry number registration. If you want to register your child, you will need to fill out a parental consent form and bring their Original Birth Certificate to apply. For an adult, you must bring your Original Birth Certificate. Applying for a certificate of Indian Status. The membership clerk issues Indian status cards and does monthly reports into the Indian registration System (IRS) for the cards that have been issued during the month. For the ones that live out of the reserve, they are sent out by mail. You will need to call membership clerk first, of which then an application and a blank status card is sent to you. You will, then, resend the application, status card with your picture along with two pieces of identifications. For Band transfer requests. You will need to come to the office to fill out a request of transfer and which is then taken it to Chief and Council for Band Council Resolution of their acceptance into our Band. AANDC needs the Original Band Council Resolution to transfer. Amendments are changes to your register page and can apply to marital status change, deaths, adoptions and errors to your AANDC register page.

Please note that there will be a new software to help you apply for the New Secure Certificate Of Indian Status Card in the near future. Please note that everyone must have their Original Birth Certificate and a piece of identification with a picture (eg: old status card, drivers etc…) to apply for this card.

MSSS is for your Beneficiary number

Birth and Beneficiary number registration. You will also need to bring the original birth certificate or the confirmation letter from Director of civil status to apply.

Beneficiary Transfers. MSSS needs the Band Council Resolution to transfer.

Modifications and corrections (are changes to your files) include marital status change, deaths, adoptions and errors to your beneficiary file.

It is important to know that the beneficiary number is a very important to possess as soon as a baby is born. The Cree Health Board and Cree School Board need this beneficiary number for medical appointments and to enrol a child for school

When we have elections, Cree Nation Government has a database for the membership clerks to print out the electoral list.

The Financial Benefits Counsellor (F.B.C.) works very closely with the community members. The F.B.C fills out Income Taxes yearly. The F.B.C helps fill out applications with the provincial and federal government, such as old age, widow, survivor, disability and retirement pension. She/he also assists with child tax benefit (family allowance), handicap children benefit application and direct deposit for all the applications mentioned above. The F.B.C. Helps fill out the birth certificate application and passport application forms. The F.B.C. Writes proof of residence letters for medical cards, birth certificate applications and tax exemptions for your bills. (Ex. Satellite, Telebec etc.).The F.B.C takes pictures for student, police identification and gun permit cards.The F.B.C does all the necessary filing.

Relevant Websites for the Above Mentioned Applications

  • Canada Child Tax Benefits Application for Federal Family Allowance

  • Child Assistance Application for Provincial Family Allowance
  • Supplement for Provincial Handicapped Children Application
  • Quebec Pension Plans (Retirement, Disabled, Widowed Allowances)
  • Birth Certificate Application Forms
  • Old Age Security Pension Application forms
  • Passport Applications
  • Cree Nation Government
  • Indigenous and Northern Affairs Canada